Monday, October 18, 2010

Schooled by a Librarian

I’ll be completely honest; I went into Thursday’s lecture thinking I would just get a summarization of everything I had learned up to this point. Cheryl McCoy proved my thoughts wrong and I came out of the lecture with valuable information.




In the two years I’ve been at USF, I can count the number of times I’ve used the libraries website on one hand. In the week since McCoy’s presentation I’ve used it too many times to count. Every public record we’ve learned to look for is available on a single page! The amount of time she put into this page is evident and appreciated. Links to the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office, Clerk or Circuit Court and numerous others can all be found here.
It’s what we haven’t learned in prior classes that she’s made available that I truly find interesting.

Newspapers!


How clever am I, the broadcast news student that never actually thought to search newspapers for my profile project? It really never occurred to me; clearly McCoy came to my rescue. Not only does she have links to the St. Petersburg Times archives but also to the Tampa Tribune and other national newspapers. Granted they aren’t true public records (they certainly won’t help our grade if we try and turn them in as our documents) but they are a great place to start gathering information on your person. They can inform you of prior lawsuits, dirty laundry, and general knowledge to help you decide where you should look for public records.



Clendinen VIRTUAL Reading Room!

At the stroke of a few keys anyone of my fellow students can have access to a virtual book from the Clendinen reading room. Scholarly journals are also available for research, stylebooks are easily accessible, and even visual resources are provided. It sure beats hunting down my outdated version of the AP Stylebook that calls some dark recess of my room home.



The page also provides links to Attorney General’s site for government in the sunshine which provides viewers with the content of the sunshine law’s.



A link to the First Amendment Foundations website is also available for each student to peruse. Other links include ten practical tips for requesting public records, the Florida Society of News Editors webpage, and the Brechner Center for Freedom of Information.

While I thought I couldn’t learn anymore, I was yet again schooled in terms of journalism.

Schooled by a librarian.


No comments:

Post a Comment